Universal Credit

Universal Credit is replacing certain benefits in parts of the UK. You may be able to claim if you’re on a low income or out of work. .

You cannot get Housing Benefit if you receive Universal Credit.

There are no limits to the number of hours you can work a week if you receive Universal Credit. Your payment will reduce gradually as you earn more and you won’t lose all your benefits at once if you’re on a low income.

Universal Credit is paid differently to current benefits. It’s paid once a month, usually into your bank or building society account. If you live with your partner and both claim Universal Credit you’ll receive a single payment that covers you both.

Any help you get with your rent will be included with your Universal Credit payment and you’ll then pay your landlord yourself.

Can I apply?

To be eligible to claim Universal Credit (as opposed to existing benefits), you must:

  • live at your usual address, in an area where Universal Credit is available
  • not be homeless, in supported or temporary accommodation, nor a homeowner
  • be a British citizen with a National Insurance number
  • be aged between 18 years and 60 years and six months
  • be fit for work
  • not have applied for a fitness for work note
  • consider yourself/yourselves fit for work
  • not be pregnant nor have given birth within the last 15 weeks
  • not be entitled to Jobseeker’s Allowance(JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support (IS), Incapacity Benefit (IB), Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA), Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • not be awaiting a decision on a claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support (IS), Housing Benefit (HB), Child Tax Credit (CTC) or Working Tax Credit (WTC)
  • ot be appealing against a decision of non-entitlement to Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Income Support (IS)
  • not be awaiting the outcome of an application to revise a decision of non-entitlement to Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support (IS) or Housing Benefit (HB)
  • not have any caring responsibilities (such as for a disabled person)
  • not be self employed, a company director or part of a limited liability partnership
  • not be in education or on a training course of any kind
  • not have a person acting on your behalf over your claim
  • have at least one suitable account that DWP can pay your money into
  • not live in the same household as a member of the regular or reserve forces who is away on duty
  • have lived in the UK for the last two years, and not have been abroad for more than four weeks continuously during that time
  • not be required to pay child maintenance via the Child Support Agency
  • not have savings in excess of £6,000
  • not be an approved foster parent (even if you currently have no foster children)not be expecting to adopt a child in the next two months or (where family claims may be made) have adopted a child within the last 12 months
  • not expect to receive individual take home pay of more than £338 in the next month (£541 for couples)
  • not be responsible for a young person under 20 who is in non-advanced education or training
  • not be responsible for more than 2 children (from 6 April 2017)

If any of the above statements apply to your current situation, you can not apply for Universal Credit. Please continue to claim for your Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction.

If none of the above statements apply to you based on the information that you have provided you will need to apply for Universal Credit online. Please do not delay in making your claim as the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) cannot back date your claim.

Council Tax Reduction

If you are currently liable for paying rent and Council Tax at your property your housing costs will be included in your single monthly Universal Credit payment but you will need to apply for your Council Tax Support with Bolton Council.

Failure to do so will result in you paying your full Council Tax.

Make a claim online 

Bolton Council

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 331590
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events